Today we're flying over to Placentia, California, USA where you'll find the Melkite Greek-Catholic parish of Holy Cross.
|New Church Buildings|
Holy Cross parish serves all of Orange County and also draws from Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego counties with its full liturgical cycle, Eastern Christian Formation program, and active parish organizations. They are planning the construction of a new temple, office facilities, and a meeting center with classrooms to serve the parish's growing needs. Their youth group is active and their Lady's Society is the largest of its kind in any church in the United States.
Their priest, Fr. James Babcock, works with the Society of St. John Chrysostom and was recently interviewed on The Illumined Heart. The host, Kevin Allen, is an Orthodox Christian whose program airs on Ancient Faith Radio, an Internet-based Orthodox radio station. They discussed "the similarities and differences between Eastern Orthodox, Eastern Catholics and the Roman Catholic Church." You can listen to their interview here, then you can visit Holy Cross on the web and in person.
- Great Vespers is celebrated each Saturday at 6 p.m.
- Orthros (Matins & Lauds) is celebrated each Sunday at 10 a.m.
- The Holy and Divine Liturgy is celebrated each Sunday at 11 a.m.
- Holy Days and Weekdays as announced
- Eastern Christian Formation Program (Grades 1-8) Sunday after Liturgy
The parish is currently served by the following:Monday's Map highlights Eastern and Oriental Catholic institutions as well as those who run and serve them.
- The Rt. Rev. Archimandrite James Babcock, Pastor
- The Reverend Deacon Edward Faulk, Pastoral Associate
- The Reverend Deacon Elias Kashou